Have you been making an effort to get your agency’s name known in the community? There is a fine line to be mindful of when promoting your company. You don’t want to sound like you are bragging, entitled, or annoying about letting your community know who you are. However, you want to spread the word in a way that engages your customers so you will be in their minds when they have insurance questions, concerns, or needs. So how can you do this in a professional, appealing manner? Reach out to your local media friends!
Wondering where to get started? Whether or not you know someone in the journalism or media industry, you should make a real effort to network. You never know who knows who. Here are some tips to connect with the local media to enhance your insurance marketing strategy to get your name out there:
- Get to know your local outlets by reading and watching the news. This can give you an idea of who you want to reach out to.
- Identify the reporters, newspapers, TV, and radio stations in your community that you want to target. Collect their contact information and reach out to them. Also, be certain that they are a relevant connection and can really help your agency.
- If you don’t feel comfortable calling, try composing a brief and direct email. Introduce your agency and describe why you want to make a connection with the particular local media source. This can be a “pitch” type of message, but keep it personal as well.
- Offer an interview to a reporter if you are holding an event or attending one within your industry. Since you are an expert on insurance, a news source may be more likely to listen to what you have to say.
- Make an effort to show how your story is significant, timely, and can impact the news source’s audiences as well as your own.
- Promote your good news on social networks. If you share your coverage within the community about what your agency is doing, whether it is a charity event or receiving an award, your local media will have an easier time showcasing your value.
Your goal at the end of the day is to satisfy your customers with quality protection. However, in order to do so, you must communicate with other sources in order to get the word out there. Insurance is something everyone needs, so let the local area know you are the agency they can go to for support!